Quebec province like any other province has an immigration program to allow the capable and highly skilled immigrants to live and work in the province. Quebec has designed their immigration program in such a way that it is able to select and identify immigrants who will help the province in the overall development.
For any skilled immigrants or international students to live and work in the Quebec province they have to apply under the program started by the government of Quebec for immigrants – Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) or the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ).
What is the eligibility to apply under Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP)?
In order to apply under Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP), immigrants’ eligibility is checked based on nine factors. Points are awarded based on these eligibility selection factors. For a single applicant to be able to apply under this program they need to have minimum 50 points and in case immigrants apply with a spouse or common-law partner they need to have minimum 59 points.
Point distribution for these eligibility factors are mentioned below:
- Training (maximum 26 points) – These points are awarded under two sub-categories:
- Education: Maximum 14 points
- Areas of Training: This sub-category is to identify potential immigrants who are professionally trained in areas with strong job prospects in Quebec. Maximum 12 points
- Work Experience (maximum 8 points)
- Age (maximum 16 points)
- Language Proficiency (maximum 22 points)
- Quebec Connection (maximum 8 points)
- Characteristics of Spouse (maximum 17 points)
- Validates Job offer (maximum 10 points)
- Accompanying Children (maximum 8 points)
- Financial Self-Sufficiency (maximum 1 point)
What are the different pathways to apply for permanent residence in Quebec?
Quebec province has different pathways/portals that allow immigrants to apply for permanent residency in the province. Some of the major portals are as follows:
Quebec’s Expression of interest System – This system was introduced to streamline the application processing for QSWP. Introduced on August 2, 2018, immigrants interested in moving to the province will have to begin the process by declaring their interest by entering a profile in the Quebec Expression of Interest Bank.
Quebec’s Arrima portal – The Ministere de I’Immigration, de la Diversite et de I’Inclusion (MIDI) started accepting expression of interest to apply under QSWP applications via Arrima portal from September 18, 2018. First interested immigrants must submit an expression of interest (EOI) for free by their profile in the Arrima portal. Arrima portal will open year-round and immigrants who want to move to the province will be able to submit their EOI profile at any point.
Mon Projet Quebec – For immigrants to move to the Quebec province they can also apply via the secure Mon Projet Quebec portal. Mon Projet Quebec allows the immigrants to apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ), make their payment online, follow the status of their application, and make changes to their application and access personal electronic messaging throughout the process.
Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) – This pathway allows the eligible international graduates with a Quebec diploma and individuals with at least 12 months skilled work experience in the past 2 years to live in the province. In order to apply under via this pathway immigrant needs to have an advanced intermediate knowledge of spoken French.
What are the steps for immigrating to the Quebec Province?
There are two major steps that need to be followed to in order to get a permanent residence in Quebec province:
Step 1: First, an interested immigrant needs to have a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ). Getting this certification means that Quebec Immigration Office has selected the immigrant to live and work in the province. Immigrants’ application will be evaluated based on various eligibility factors by the Quebec Immigration office.
Step 2: Second, step is to apply for permanent residence to Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with the CSQ.
What are the Quebec Skilled Worker Program Processing Fees?
Following are the application processing fees for QSWP 2019:
|Applicant||Fees (in CAD)|
|Spouse, de facto spouse||$171|
|Each dependent child||$171|
What are the minimum requirements for settling in Quebec province?
In order to settle in the province, every immigrant needs to obtain a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ). Following are the minimum requirements in order to obtain the CSQ:
- Applicant must be of minimum 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Must be proficient in English or French language and must be able to showcase the same through via taking a language examination. (For IELTS examination minimum score is 6 per band)
- Having a job-offer from the province is an ideal situation.
- Must have minimum work experience required within the past 5 years.
- Immigrants needs to have the job relevant diplomas, degrees and certification and must be able to require submitting the same to relevant authorities.
- Immigrants must be able to provide with the legal evidence of possessing enough funds to settle and sustain themselves and accompanying family members in Quebec.
For more information visit: Nationwide Visas